SWIM home Seacoast Watershed Information Manager
HomeMapsToolsProjectsAction Steps
Watersheds
What's NewIntro Contacts
Town of Lyman
State: ME
County: York

WATER RESOURCES:

Saco River Watershed

Bartlett Pond lies across Lyman northern border with Waterboro near Bartlettís Bridge Rd. The Lyman shoreline is relatively undeveloped with a short dirt road as the only access point. Cooks Brook drains the 33 acre pond at its southeastern end. The brook runs south, passing under Bartlettís Bridge Road where it flows between two large gravel extraction sites on either bank, and is joined by another small stream flowing from the north. It then enters a mile long stretch of forest, crossing CC Road and exiting Lyman to the east.

Tarwater Pond pools at the drainage of a large heath on the Lyman border with Waterboro. This 11 acre pond is completely surrounded by marsh with the closest development being Jellerson Road a quarter mile to the east. A small stream drains the pond at its southern end and flows one mile east to join Roberts Pond at its northern end. Here the shoreline is sparsely developed with a few houses off of Jellerson and Roberts Pond Roads. Roberts Pond is separated from neighboring Wadley Pond by a causeway on Fryes Bridge Road. Swan Pond also feeds Wadley Pond from the west. Located north of South Waterboro Road it is more heavily developed particularly along Shore Drive. A small marsh area drains Swan Pond at its northern end. This marsh forms a short stream that flows under Clarks Woods Road and into Wadley Pond. This 214 acre pond is significantly more developed than its neighbors, with numerous homes along its east and southern shore. There is a dam at the outlet of the pond on Chappel Shores Drive out of which flows Swan Pond Brook. The brook backs up behind a culvert on a dirt road three quarters of a mile downstream from the dam. After passing the culvert it flows by a large gravel pit and runs south along Rumery Road. Passing through a forested area Swan Pond Brook comes to another flow restriction on Old Pump Road. Passing back into the forest, the brook flows near two more large gravel pits and runs for 2 miles before pooling at a dam in the village of Goodwins Mills.

Round Pond sits on the Lyman border with Dayton, just north of the village of Goodwins Mills. It is 3.9 acres in size and almost completely undeveloped except for one building on its southern shore.

Kennebunk River Watershed

Kennebunk Pond sits at the geographic middle of Lyman. Water flows into the pond from a small stream near a beach on Kennebunk Pond Road. At almost 200 acres in size Kennebunk Pond is home to 14 species of fish including landlocked alewives. The shores of the pond are highly developed especially along East Shore and Poor Farm Roads. A small stream known as West Outlet drains Kennebunk Pond at its western end. It flows for a mile through hardwood forest and then joins Sunken Brook. This brook encounters no development for two and a half miles until it crosses Alfred Road near a gravel pit. Winding around the gravel pit the brook flows along Day Road for a short distance and then joins Lordís Brook.

Lords Brook begins in a swamp area near South Waterboro Road. It flows south past the Winterwood Compost facility and enters a small stretch of woods near Davis Road. The brook backs up behind a dam at a small farm on Lords Lane. Lords Brook runs past several more farms and crosses under first Alfred Road and then Day Road where it is joined by Sunken Brook. The brook passes through a mile long stretch of forest until it meets Carlisle Brook.

Carlisle Brook originates near the intersection of Alfred Road and Walker Road. It flows south for three miles with homes on Walker Road along the east shore and forest on the west shore. Turning east the brook meanders past several farms, passes under the road and meets Lords Brook.

The Kennebunk River begins where Carlisle Brook and Lords Brook converge. Here the river is bordered by several farms and a small forested area. It flows for a mile before exiting Lyman at Goodwins Mills Road.

Mousam River Watershed

Bunganut Pond sits on Lymanís border with Alfred and Waterboro. It is 300 acres in size and home to ten species of fish. There is a carry in boat launch on the north shore off of Brock Road. Numerous homes dot the shoreline as well as several campgrounds. A small stream drains the pond at its west corner near the intersection of Brock Road and Shaker Hill Road.

The Mousam River crosses the southern tip of Lyman near Old Falls Road. Here the river pools behind the Old Falls Dam on its way south to Kennebunk.

To see the locations of these resources in Google Earth follow this link.

If you do not have Google Earth software you may download it by following this link.


WATER & SEWER DISTRICTS
Water District: none
District Website: none
Water Source: Private Wells
# Accts Serv: none
Other Towns: none
   
Sewer District: Septic
District Website: none
Receiving Waters: groundwater
# Accts Serv: N/A
Other Towns: none
   
WATERSHED(S):
 
KEY RESOURCE(S):
(Click the Title of the article to learn more.)
Bunganut Pond Assoc
Community Assistance Providers
An organization of landowners dealing with social and environmental issues around Bunganut Pond.
Kennebunk Land Trust
Community Assistance Providers
A land trust serving Kennebunk, Arundel, and Lyman.

Kennebunk Pond Association
Community Assistance Providers
Landowner association.

Kennebunk Pond Watershed Survey
Publications, Websites, and Tools
Summary of the Kennebunk Pond Watershed Survey.  Includes contact information for project managers.


TOWN RESOURCES:
Website:www.lyman-maine.org
www.maine.gov/local/york/lyman/
Population:4224 (U.S. Census Est. 2006)
Area:43.9 square miles
Zipcode:04002

DESCRIPTION:
Lyman is a rural commuter community served by Maine Route 111 (providing easy access to Sanford and the Biddeford-Saco areas) and Route 35.

HISTORY:

In 1660 the area which includes Lyman was purchased from a Native American Chief named Fluellen by European settlers. The land was eventually settled in 1767 by men from Kennebunk.

As with most of the early settlements in York County, lumber was the chief industry that attracted early inhabitants. Goodwins Mills, the only village in the Lyman, was the site of some of the first mills. A sawmill and gristmill mill were established there along Swan Pond Creek around 1782. The sawmill operated almost continuously until l947. Sawmills were also established at the outlets of Kennebunk Pond and Swan Pond and lumbering was a considerable source of income for many early inhabitants.

In 1947 a disastrous fire destroyed a sizable portion of the town including most of the original buildings. At this time the population had dropped to 385 residents in 1940. The population began to rise sharply in the later part of the 20th century as Lyman became more suburban. Between 1970 to 2000 the population grew by an average of 79% per decade, from 864 to 3,795.

excerpts from "200 years of Lyman, Southern Maine's Country Home Town"

 
The Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve at Laudholm Farm, Wells, Maine Copyright 2006 All rights reserved. Collaboration with NOAA CSC, Charleston SC